Monday, December 20, 2010

On Irrational Travel Fears

I am afraid of getting sick while we travel. I’m afraid of being sick in a hotel, unable to be comfortable, in unfamiliar surroundings, with unknown health care. I am afraid of Ricky getting sick. I am afraid of intestinal viruses, of malaria, of the side effects of the malaria prophylactic medicine we’ll be taking. I’m afraid of the holes in the ground instead of toilets.

I am afraid of being mugged, of getting hurt, of dying abroad. Of being ripped off by taxi drivers. Of driving on the wrong side of the road and getting into an accident. Of not understanding what people are saying to me when it’s important that I do. Of being constipated.

I am afraid of not getting the most out of this trip. Of not having a healthy diet. Of not enjoying ourselves. Of not finding good food. Of having Ricky be a pain in the ass while we travel. Of having trouble getting money out of the ATMs. Of wishing we were not traveling. I’m afraid of going through the motions.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

  1. The child getting sick is a real fear. Charlie got sick in Dominican Republic and we almost had to air-vac her outta there. And health insurance, I had it for her, was no help at all.

    I hear you, travel is scary. But like Bryan probably reminds you... it's one way to really feel alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once the fears are written down, they are less scary. I am a brave traveler, and usually keep these fears under wraps. That's really scary about Charlie getting sick! What do mean the health insurance was not helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that you have those fears Ana, but I have to admit I'm a little glad too. I think about all of those things as well and truly despise the idea of getting ill at all, but especially any place other than "home." Maybe the rest of the world isn't more brave than I am after all. Maybe everyone just keeps quiet about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, we all have fears and once they are out, it's easier to deal with them. I love travel and most of the time don't think about all these things, but it's good to get them off my chest. I know I sound insane when I re-read this blog entry! "The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” Nelson Mandela.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't sound insane, you sound like me...which is to say, neurotic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me point out, Ana, that if those fears come true, it'll make for some great reading for your blog-audience.

    (Maybe not the constipation and pain-in-the-ass child stuff -- though you and Bryan could probably make that readable -- but certainly the rest of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything will be alright... I know it! :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJENtHOJUBs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Aidan, for looking on the bright side!

    Lau, son miedos solamente. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Med-evacuating her would have cost about $40,000.00 and health insurance was NOT going to pay. That's what I mean about U.S. health insurance being practically worthless, at least in Dominican Republic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mika, health insurance is such a nightmare! One more thing to add to the fear list: health insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited for you and of course there are fears, but I'm sure you could come up with them no matter what you were doing. that's the easy thing about fears, there are so many to choose! good luck and I'm so looking forward to following your adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erin, that's so true. The most dangerous room in the house is the kitchen, right? Even being home can be dangerous. So we might as well be adventurous, fears and all.

    ReplyDelete